Writing with Dysgraphia

 Blog 1

 

Writing With Dysgraphia.

 

I started to write just over a year ago. As Dysgraphia impact the way I get words onto the page, I became more aware of this fact than ever before. But I’m not going to let something like Dysgraphia stand in my way.

 

One of the major misconceptions people have is that dyslexic people have lower intelligence. That is ridiculous, of course. As Albert Einstein said, “Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the universe.”

We shouldn’t be disregarded and brushed under the carpet. We need to be directed and nourished.

 

The British Dyslexia Association estimates that ten per cent of the population are dyslexic. 

“Recognising dyslexia can be difficult. Dysgraphia and dyslexia are often identified in primary school; however, some people’s coping strategies are so good that the difficulties don’t become apparent until much later in life. I believe I’m a living proof.

 

Agatha Christie shared her stressful experience of writing in her autobiography. “Reading was fine,” she said, “But writing and spelling were always challenging.”

 

I spend a long time thinking about what I’m going to write, and it takes even longer to write it. Writers are told to show up at their desks and write a few thousand words every day. That is daunting!

 

To write a smooth and expressive piece of a few thousand words will take me a few days as I will have to keep rewriting and editing before it makes sense.

 

So here I am, showing up at my desk and writing. New writers need to take baby steps. On this platform, we’re kind to ourselves, take baby steps and celebrate our achievements!

 

As Richard Branson said, “To change perceptions, we must celebrate all that dyslexic people have achieved, so that young people no longer give up before they have even started.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts