Reading with Dyslexia

 03.04.2022

Blog 2

 

Reading with Dyslexia

I was 33 years old when I managed to read a book from the beginning to the end for the first time in my life. Before, I used to find reading labour-intensive and exhausting, so I would read the first few pages, then close the book and put it away.

 

I used to find reading, especially reading aloud, difficult, so I would avoid reading activities. I remember at school, I would be physically ill with nerves if I was asked to stand up and read something.  

 

Dyslexia also knocks your confidence, and you never feel comfortable doing any kind of public speaking. 

 

One of the other signs of dyslexia is forgetting what you read or when you study for exams.I found that very difficult throughout my school time and higher education. I used to study longer than my schoolmates and read something over and over to memorise for an exam. But still had difficulty recalling when I sat at the exam.  

 

I used to think maybe I was low in intelligence and was embarrassed and never used to talk about my challenges. But as I have learned to overcome the difficulties, to some extent, I’ve learned that dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence.

 

Many of the world’s most influential entertainers, thinkers and change-makers have shared their struggles with the learning condition-including insight on how they used their different abilities to distinguish themselves from the rest.

 

I have great strength in persevering and never giving up, which has helped me a great deal and now I can read much quicker and write better.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts